The new TPP Urban Specialization provides students with a distinct course of study and field experiences designed to help students meet the unique challenges of urban education.
Students who enroll in the specialization can choose the certification track which includes a student teaching experience and state licensure, or a non-certification track which includes the Teacher Prep introductory courses tailored to urban interests.
Students enrolled in the Urban Specialization will:
- Be assigned an advisor with urban expertise who will help tailor program experiences to individual interests
- Participate in field experiences focused on a range of urban education settings
- Focus TPP course assignments on urban education topics
- Choose from a range of supplemental experiences and readings and participate in small group "critical conversations" on those experiences
- Receive a broad preparation for classroom teaching that all Teacher Preparation students experience
- Upon completion of the program, certification track students will be assigned a Teacher Prep graduate who works in an urban setting to serve as a mentor and resource for the first years of teaching
Students interested in learning more about the Urban Specialization offering should contact: